As a leading supplier of handmade bricks in Australia, we have strict trading policies and only source our products from ethical supply partners.
We want our customers to be confident that Elephant Brick Co products are made ethically to the highest standards, and that those who make our bricks are treated fairly, with respect for their human rights and that they’re not exposed to unsafe working conditions.
SMETA is an audit methodology, providing a compilation of best practice ethical audit techniques. It is designed to help auditors conduct high quality audits that encompass all aspects of responsible business practice, covering Sedex’s four pillars of Labour, Health and Safety, Environment and Business Ethics
Our suppliers undergo SMETA audits to insure compliance with our commitment to the Employment and Ethical Trade Initiative Code
All our partner factories must meet specified employment guidelines and treat their employees with respect within a safe and healthy work environment. For any non-compliances specifically relating to ETI codes identified in an audit, corrective actions must be taken within appropriate timescales to ensure they do not re-occur.
The Code specifies that:
- Employment is Freely Chosen
- Freedom of Association and Right to Collective Bargaining are respected
- Working conditions are safe and hygienic
- Child labour shall not be used
- Living wages are paid
- Working hours are not excessive
- No discrimination is practiced
- Regular employment is provided
- No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed